Part of our team spent this week in New York and Jersey City attending events and meeting our customers and partners in the area. The main event for our visit was the PostgresConf US 2018 conference in Jersey City just across te Hudson river from Manhattan.
The conference gave us a good opportunity to network and catch up with our custmers and partners as well as new contacts. We also gave two talks at the event which centered around connecting PostgreSQL with other open source tools, namely Apache Kafka. The talks we gave were:
- Data pipelines with PostgreSQL and Kafka - Oskari Saarenmaa
- Change data capture for a brave new world - Hannu Valtonen
We had a great audience for both talks and lively discussion following them. The key points from our talks include:
- Apache Kafka as the central piece of your data pipeline creates a clean architecture and helps avoid the giant, fragile mess of point-to-point connections
- PostgreSQL is a versatile RDBMS suitable for many different workloads with a huge ecosystem of robust tools and extensions
- SQL is more relevant than ever before, it has outlasted its competition and is the universal language for data access, start using it in more systems
Slides for both talks are now available on GitHub here, please see them for more information on combining PostgreSQL and Kafka.
Over the coming months we'll be talking about these topics in more events around the world, including Kafka Summit in London next week and the OSS Summit in Japan in June. Other upcoming events and updates will be posted here, so be sure to follow us on Twitter and join our blog and changelog RSS feeds!