SYNC command support (to create self-managed replicas)

Hello! Is it possible to connect self-managed redis to the aiven.io redis ( replicaof)

I want to create primary instance in aiven.io cloud and connect multiple replicas.

1 Like

I created a free instance redis-3aa66c59
But replica could not connect to it
docker run redis:7.0 --masterauth password --replicaof redis-3aa66c59-abcd.a.aivencloud.com 25028

1:S 04 Dec 2023 10:02:23.116 * MASTER <-> REPLICA sync started
1:S 04 Dec 2023 10:02:23.177 * Non blocking connect for SYNC fired the event.
1:S 04 Dec 2023 10:02:23.238 # Failed to read response from the server: Success
1:S 04 Dec 2023 10:02:23.238 # Master did not respond to command during SYNC handshake
1 Like

Hey @Dmitrii_Altukhov I’ve asked the team and they told me that while it’s possible, it’s a non supported feature we are planning to disable and then only allow it via external CCR.

1 Like

Maybe you know, does Aiven provide any aws cross-region active-passive (active-active not needed) configurations of redis (write instance in one region and multiple replicas in another regions)?

1 Like

Let me inquire, @Dmitrii_Altukhov!

1 Like

Hey @Floor
We’re also interested in knowing whether Read-only replicas for Aiven Redis are on the roadmap much like Aiven PG already offers.

1 Like

Our roadmap is public. You can go to https://ideas.aiven.io/ and navigate to “Public roadmap”, or go to Sign in to Aiven.io Internal Roadmap directly. It’s behind a signin wall but that’s because that way you can stay in the loop for the topics you’d like to follow.

(It says ‘Internal only - do not share’ but that’s not actually true, very silly).