Protocol Mismatch Error with MySQL Client Connection

I am currently experiencing an issue while attempting to connect to my MySQL database hosted on Aiven.
The error message I am encountering is as follows:
ERROR 2007 (HY000): Protocol mismatch; server version = 11, client version = 10

I have tried connecting using MySQL client versions 8.0 and 8.4 on a Debian 11 system, but both attempts resulted in the same protocol mismatch error.

Here is the command I used for the connection attempt:
mysql --host=myhost-db.e.aivencloud.com --port=18553 --user=avndadmin --password=‘my_password’ --ssl-ca=/var/www/adminer/ca-cert.pem --ssl-cert=/var/www/adminer/client-cert.pem --ssl-key=/var/www/adminer/client-key.pem --ssl-cipher=‘TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256’

I suspect that there might be a protocol version incompatibility between the client and the server.
Could you please assist me in resolving this issue?

Are you perhaps trying to connect to the MySQL X protocol port with the mysql client? They use separate ports and have different tabs for their connection on the Aiven console.

FWIW I ended up using Ubuntu packages on my Debian system (jammy-updates in my case, with additional dependencies) - but I was on Debian 12 bookworm; you may do better with what you have.

Same problem on Windows with MySQL client 8

To resolve the “Protocol mismatch” error between your MySQL client and Aiven’s server version 11, upgrade your MySQL client to the latest stable version. Ensure the upgraded client version supports the protocol used by MySQL server version 11. This typically resolves compatibility issues and allows for successful database connections.

Best Regard
Danish Hafeez | QA Assistant
ICTInnovations