OpenSearch 2.9 with Neural Search and AI features: timeline for Aiven to update versions?

OpenSearch 2.9 was released in July. With this release: neural Search is now production ready and semantic search can now support OpenAI embeddings (1,536 dimensions).

OpenSearch is now ready to rival dedicated vector databases like Pinecone while providing both text-based and AI-powered deep-learning based semantic search.

Aiven does not support this newer version of OpenSearch yet. Wondering the timeline for updated version access.

1 Like

Excellent question, I’ll ask and see if I can get an approximate date!

Alrighty! So we’re skipping the 2.9 release, but will instead adopt 2.10 as soon as it get released (in 3 weeks from now). Hope this helps?

OpenSearch 2.10 is out earlier this week. I look forward to seeing it on Aiven and if there is a timeline that will be appreciated.

1 Like

Let me get that timeline @semantic_word !

1 Like

Within the next 2 weeks is the answer I’m getting!

1 Like

Thanks. I am wondering if its still on track for delivery this week.

1 Like

Checking in with the team! Please stay tuned.

2.11 will be released this week or next - reason for this is that 2.10 has some issues that need fixing. So… we’re sort of on track? :sweat_smile: Hoping you can wait a little longer, thank you for keeping this thread accurate!

Yes, OpenSearch 2.11 was released yesterday (Get started with OpenSearch 2.11 · OpenSearch).

The reason 2.11 was released early is not because of issue with 2.10 but because the original date conflicted with AWS’s annual event (see Proposal/potential to move the 2.11 in · Issue #3955 · opensearch-project/opensearch-build · GitHub)

If I understand correctly, do we expect, 2.11 to be available and if it will be in the next week or two?

1 Like

Bumping this up to see if there is a release date for updated OpenSearch on Aiven. Now, its been 2 full weeks since release of OpenSearch 2.11, and 4 months since OpenSearch 2.9 added neural search / vector store. Please let us know @Floor

PS: Sorry for my persistence but AI use cases are top of mind for us here and hence looking forward to when they can be available with Aiven.

1 Like

You’re super right to push, @semantic_word, and I wish I had better news. The upgrade to 2.11 seems problematic too. We (the Community team) are asking for more information.

1 Like

Ok cool, @Minh_Hoang created an “Idea” for OpenSearch 2.11 at the Aiven Ideas portal. Here you can vote on the feature, provide more details about your use case, and keep tabs on the progress. Feel free to vote for other ideas you like while you’re there! :slight_smile:

But rest assured, we want this feature launched just as much as you do! :smiley: Just also want to make sure it’s solid for customers. :slight_smile:

Thanks. Added to Aiven Ideas as well.

I will help us to have a approx timeline, as its now been 4 months since OpenSearch 2.9 with vector search, but we want to know if we expect something in days, weeks, or months so we can plan. It can be 2.9 release if 2.10/2.11 have issues.

1 Like

Good to see that you posted on Aiven Ideas, @semantic_word! We’re currently looking at 2.11.1, which shouldn’t be long now.

Thanks @aiven_angie @Floor @Minh_Hoang
Finally OpenSearch has released v2.11.1 with the bug fixes. Look forward to using that on Aiven soon.

1 Like

Hi @semantic_word we’re on 2.11.1 now. The Changelog update should follow shortly! Hope to hear about your experiences!

I should have replied sooner, there were a couple of really nasty bugs on 2.11 which prevented the security plugin, among other things, from working properly. They were blockers for us to move to 2.11. 2.11.1 was a bit delayed due to the holidays in the US and such, but that’s been released and we upgraded quickly. I can pass the specifics if you are interested, just let me know.

1 Like

Thanks @jkowall and @Floor and thanks for the explanation on bugs in 2.11 (I did follow the OpenSearch GitHub issues and yes there were bugs in there).

We look forward to using 2.11.1 on Aiven (currently our instance shows 2.8) but I am assuming it will be upgraded soon.

Absolutely, and thank you for keeping us on our toes :wink: