How can i get the broker url list?

Is there an option to get the broker URL list?

3 Likes

Hey @David_Vaknin ! Just a quick note that we’re figuring out who can answer your question internally. Please bear with us :pray:

2 Likes

Try resolving the IP addresses of the Kafka service host name. That should resolve to the IP addresses of the nodes in the Kafka cluster.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

However, the IP addresses of the service nodes are not fixed, as nodes can be replaced by new nodes. Thus it’s not safe to use the IP addresses directly, at least for a longer time.

1 Like

Usually when connecting to Kafka cluster using IPs or unique hostnames providing multiple of them is a good idea, while at Aiven FQDN for the service stays the same and it will be resolved to IP addresses of the brokers (and also load balanced), so once client will connect to the first broker the rest of broker topology will be discovered via Kafka protocol and clients will connect to all necessary brokers themselves. So basically there is no need to resolve anything manually.

1 Like

@JuhaMynttinen and z0r1k You are both right, that’s exactly what made me confused.
I used to work with a URL that contains the node name and some id or random string in order to synchronize topics. At the point of nodes changing, I lost them and I tried to find the list again.

FYI the solution for me coming from here: Connect to Aiven for Apache Kafka® with command line tools - Aiven.
I tried the URL from the main Kafka service and the same ports from my old broker list and it works.
But for sure not ideal and not that clear.
@Floor Could you please put some light on this?

1 Like

certainly sounds like we should update documentation around this, thank you for flagging!

Thanks so much for flagging, David!

Do you happen to have a suggestion of how we should improve/re-word the docs here so that “past you” would have immediately known what to do?

i am introuble please help me out faubf

Hey there, @mr_ms! If you need a hand, please feel free to submit a New Topic with more details about what you need help with and we’ll do our best to assist!

In the meantime, closing this thread out for posterity, since it looks like @David_Vaknin found the solution!