Aiven is happy to release PostgreSQL 14.0, announced on 30 September 2021. This new version contains several new features and improvements. Here are the main highlights:
- Stored procedures can now return data via
- The SQL-standard
CYCLEoptions for common table expressions have been implemented.
- Subscripting can now be applied to any data type for which it is a useful notation, not only arrays. In this release, the
hstoretypes have gained subscripting operators.
- Range types have been extended by adding multiranges, allowing representation of noncontiguous data ranges.
- Numerous performance improvements have been made for parallel queries, heavily-concurrent workloads, partitioned tables, logical replication, and vacuuming.
- B-tree index updates are managed more efficiently, reducing index bloat.
- VACUUM automatically becomes more aggressive, and skips inessential cleanup, if the database starts to approach a transaction ID wraparound condition.
- Extended statistics can now be collected on expressions, allowing better planning results for complex queries.
- libpq now has the ability to pipeline multiple queries, which can boost throughput over high-latency connections.
Further details on all new features are listed in the PostgreSQL web page.
How to get started with PostgreSQL14.0
Upgrade to PostgreSQL 14 to take advantage of these features. If you already use Aiven for PostgreSQL, you can run an in-place upgrade to migrate to the newest version.
Not using Aiven services yet? Sign up now for your free trial at https://console.aiven.io/signup!
Mar 25, 2021
Using Kafka Connect JDBC Source: a PostgreSQL® example
Find out how to use Apache Kafka® Connect to update an old app-to-db design to use up-to-date tech tools without disrupting the original solution.
May 5, 2020
Apache Kafka® 2.5 now available on Aiven
The latest edition of Apache Kafka, 2.5, is now available on Aiven as a managed service. Find out what they are and how to get it.
Feb 3, 2022
Database migration with Apache Kafka® and Apache Kafka® Connect
Find out how to use Apache Kafka® to migrate across database technologies while keeping the target continually in sync with the source.
Subscribe to the Aiven newsletter
All things open source, plus our product updates and news in a monthly newsletter.