Summer edition of Open Source Data Infrastructure meetup in Berlin

On the 13th of July we had our second Open Source Data Infrastructure meetup in Berlin. This time it was hosted in the Aiven’s office, right next to Berlin’s main train station with the nice views on river Spree. We had over 40 guests, some really tasty food and lots and lots of interesting conversations.

We had two talks during the evening. First was an introduction into an open source distributed SQL database TiDB. Mattias Jonsson, a senior database engineer from PingCA explained the architecture of TiDB and how it ensures high availability. Intriguing side of TiDB that along the row-oriented storage, it also supports optional column storage for speeding up analytic queries!

Next we had a talk from Olena Kutsenko (hehe, me!). I’m passionate about Apache Kafka and knowing how tricky data partitioning might seem, the goal of my talk was to share the best practices on how to correctly distribute the data across partitions and prevent unbalanced partitions. Apart from good practices, we also discussed possible solutions to fix badly balanced data and save the cluster.

You missed our event? The recording will be available soon! Meanwhile check videos from the previous events in our youtube playlist and join the meetup community to stay updated on future events.

4 Likes