Migrate MySQL from Planetscale to Aiven

Hi

I am shifting from PlanetScale to Aiven with my free tier MySQL database. It is a small database I am using for a hobby project. I just can’t seem to successfully migrate/transfer the database to Aiven. Has anybody done this successfully and can help me how to do it?

Have tried to connect through Aiven migration wizard, but can’t, because the password for the database is too long. Planetscale auto-generate this, but is too long for the migration wizard here.

Have also tried my best making a dumpfile, with MySQL workbench, but this I can’t get working too.

I am still at beginner level learning MySQL. Really hope someone can help and maybe have successfully done this.

While I post this internally, have you asked PlanetScale about the password situation? They might have an interest in changing this, since it might hurt other use cases as well…

To migrate your MySQL database from PlanetScale to Aiven, first, export your database from PlanetScale using MySQL Workbench. Modify the dump file to shorten the password. Then, import the modified dump file into your Aiven MySQL database using the mysql command-line tool, and verify the data transfer.

mysql -h [Aiven_host] -P [Aiven_port] -u [Aiven_username] -p [Aiven_database] < [path_to_dump_file]

Best regard
Danish hafeez |QA Assistant
ICTInnovations

I was in the exact same boat, wanting to migrate from PlanetScale to Aiven.

My issue was that I got this error when trying to import my .sql self-contained file:
Access denied; you need (at least one of) the SUPER, SYSTEM_VARIABLES_ADMIN or SESSION_VARIABLES_ADMIN privilege(s) for this operation

I figured out the the PlanetScale self-contained .sql file contained some additional information when compared to the one generated from my local MySQL Instance.

By simply removing these extra lines of code (located at the top and bottom of the .sql file), I was able to successfully import the data.

Hope this helps!