ERROR: Not connected

Hi everyone, I’m fairly new to both Aiven and MySQL, so this question may not be very detailed or technically correct (in which case, please correct me as I’m trying to learn!)

In any case, my Aiven MySQL instance has a status of “Running”, and when I try to connect with it using the MySQL shell and the provided code from “Quick Connect”, I get the following error:

ERROR: Not connected.

Why is this happening? How can I gather more info on the error?

Any help with this? As an update, I tried connecting through a Linux VM, got an error just telling me access denied.

Even I am facing the same issue, could someone please help me?

1 Like

Pinging here again, this seems like a simple issue to fix if anyone knows.

Hey Simon!

Have you checked the following:

• Allowed IP addresses on your Aiven service
  • Is your service inside a VPC or using public IPs?
  • Is the service port open on your firewall? (you can try to telnet the host and port of your service)
2 Likes

Hi @Matt_Cornillon, thanks a bunch for responding.

• Where can I find allowed IP addresses?
  • I don’t know, how can I figure this out?
  • Not sure, how can I do this?

Kind of new to this part of tech, so forgive me for my lack of knowledge.

Hey @Simon

The allow list can be seen on the home page of your service in the Aiven console. By default it’s open though, so I think the issue is probably on your server.

Are you on public cloud or somewhere else?

1 Like

Allowed IP appears to be 0.0.0.0/0. Does that default to allowing all IPs?

I’m using the cloud provided by Aiven, not a local server.

Yes for the database server, but where’s your client you’re trying to connect with?

Here are a few steps you can take:

1. Verify Connection Details: Double-check the connection details such as hostname, port, username, and password. Ensure they are correctly entered into the MySQL shell command.
  2. Firewall Settings: Make sure that your firewall settings allow connections to the MySQL instance. Sometimes, firewalls can block incoming connections.
  3. Network Issues: Ensure that there are no network issues preventing the connection. You can try pinging the Aiven MySQL instance to check if it’s reachable from your machine.
  4. SSL Configuration (Optional): If SSL is enabled on your Aiven MySQL instance, ensure that your MySQL client is configured to use SSL accordingly.
  5. Aiven Service Status: Check the status of your Aiven MySQL service in the Aiven dashboard. If there are any ongoing maintenance activities or issues, they might affect connectivity.
  6. Review Logs: Look into the logs of your Aiven MySQL instance. They might provide more detailed error messages that can help diagnose the issue.

@Matt_Cornillon sorry for the late reply. If I understand your question correctly, I have tried using terminal, MySQL Shell, MySQL Command Line Client, and also MySQL Workbench. The MySQL Workbench actually worked, but I’d rather work with the command line.

@Danishhafeez considering I’m able to connect via the MySQL Workbench, I don’t think there are any issues with connecting via the points you’ve provided