API - What are valid values for service_type in ServiceCreate?

So looking at the API docs…
https://api.aiven.io/doc/#tag/Service/operation/ServiceCreate

So it requires service_type (so like “mysql”) but it doesn’t show what the available types are. Is there a list somewhere?

More specifically is there a list of valid values for any API I want to make?

2 Likes

Great question! Because the list of valid values can change depending on various factors, the most authoritative source of truth is going to be ListProjectServiceTypes (Cheers to @bugant for the assist! :sunglasses:)

That said, you’ve accurately raised that there’s definitely some room for improvement in the docs here, for example by listing some sample values and a pointer to this method, or even changing this to more of an ENUM situation. :thinking:

If you’d like, you can file this as an issue at GitHub - aiven/devportal: Resources for users of the projects on the Aiven platform with a suggestion on what would’ve been more useful to you and one of our technical writers can take a gander!

1 Like

I also tweaked the title a bit to make this question a bit easier to find if someone else should have the same problem in the future. Thanks again for your contribution to our community! :muscle:

1 Like

Any time you are looking for enum values of the API check out the Terraform provider docs. They use API under the covers and are better documented.

https://registry.terraform.io/providers/aiven/aiven/latest/docs

2 Likes

Thanks for the helpful hint. It’s a shame our API docs are not where they need to be. I run our product management and documentation teams here at Aiven, so this is my responsibility to fix. I wanted to share that we have already made many improvements in the API docs over the last month, and we have an aggressive plan to improve them further. Stay tuned to the API docs as we get them into shape over the following months.

I am pleased to share the current plans with you or take feedback as we look to improve the docs.

Finally, we also have bigger plans to improve the APIs themselves, there is much to be desired from current state. Those are more significant changes we are still planning.

Thanks.

3 Likes