Aiven provides a service integration that allows you to send your logs from several services, such as Aiven for Apache Kafka®, PostgreSQL®, Apache Cassandra®, OpenSearch®, Redis®*, and Grafana®, to Aiven for OpenSearch®. Making it possible for you to use OpenSearch to gain more insight and control over your logs.
In this article, you will understand how to enable, edit and disable the logs integration feature on Aiven for OpenSearch®.
Check a short video tutorial for an end-to-end example of how to enable your Aiven for OpenSearch® log integration.
Enable log integration
Here are the steps needed to enable logs integration. This allows you to send your service's logs to your Aiven for OpenSearch® from another Aiven service.
Log in to the Aiven Console, and select the Aiven for OpenSearch service for which you want to enable log integration.
Select Logs from the left sidebar, and select Enable logs integration.
Select an existing OpenSearch instance or create a new one, then select Continue.
: - When creating a new service you will need to select the cloud, region and plan to use. You should also give your service a name. The service overview page shows the nodes rebuilding, and then indicates when they are ready.
- If you're already using OpenSearch on Aiven, you can use your running OpenSearch service as a destination for your metrics data. If you are a member of more than one Aiven project with operator or admin access rights, you need to choose the project first then your target OpenSearch service.
- Configure your
index retention limitparameters, then select Enable.
If you want to effectively disable the
index retention limit, you can
set it to the maximum value which is 10000 days.
Your Aiven service is now sending logs to your OpenSearch service which you can explore further.
Configure log integration
There are two parameters that you can adjust when integrating logs to your OpenSearch service:
index prefix, specifies the prefix part of the index name
index retention limit, number of days to preserve the daily indexes
The service's logs are sent from the selected service to your
OpenSearch cluster. When the
index retention limit is reached, those
indexes are deleted from the OpenSearch cluster.
You can change the configuration of the
index prefix and
index retention limit after the integration is enabled.
- Log in to the Aiven Console, and select the Aiven for OpenSearch service.
- Click Integrations on the sidebar.
- Identify the service you want to configure in the Integrations page.
- Click Actions (...) menu, select Edit to modify the necessary parameters.
- After making the changes, click Edit again to save them.
Disable logs integration
If you no longer wish to send logs from your service to OpenSearch, follow these steps to disable the integration:
- In your Aiven for OpenSearch service, navigate to the Integrations screen using the left sidebar and locate the service you want to modify.
- From the Actions (...) menu, select Disconnect to proceed with disabling the integration.
- In the confirmation window, click Disconnect again to confirm and save the changes.
Your log integration for OpenSearch will be disabled.